Death by Cookies
A few Tuesday mornings ago I remembered that I had begged my new supervisor to let me contribute something to the staff meeting tomorrow. My office is full of politics, my eagerness makes me fresh meat. I am quickly learning it is far better to keep your nose down and offer to help only your self, rather then sincerely want to help someone.
I knew my co-worker in the office was allergic to nuts,I was just careless.
Tuesday morning at an upscale market. I bought "fig newton" style cookies. No nuts to be seen. Full ingredient list was on the bottom of the container.
I served them to my co-workers at The Department staff meeting, an hour goes by without anyone touching them. At an hour, my co-worker puts one to her lips, not into her mouth, and went into instant anaphylactic shock. Shaking, vomiting, her throat swelled so much that she was beginning to loose air. She was driven to the hospital immediately.
This does happen to her alot but she had an epi pen, along with allergy medicine to ease the effects. I was so upset that I had been so careless about this situation, that I allowed myself to be sent home.
Anger paired with embarrassment were my companions throughout the rest of the day. Anger that I had let her get hurt by something I did. However much I can torture myself over this will not change the fact that we were both careless. Neither of us checked the ingredients, we went on visuals alone. These cookies were actually made with Almond flour and Walnut Oil.