(function() { (function(){function c(a){this.t={};this.tick=function(a,c,b){var d=void 0!=b?b:(new Date).getTime();this.t[a]=[d,c];if(void 0==b)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+a)}catch(l){}};this.tick("start",null,a)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var h=0=b&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-b)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load;0=b&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,b),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt", e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=c&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var f=!1;function g(){f||(f=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",g,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",g); })();

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Cooking Meme

The Cook Next Door




What is your first memory of baking/cooking on your own?

I remember making “one eyed Monsters” for my Grandpa Larry when I was in middle school. I used a glass to cut a hole in the middle of a piece of bread, and then put it in a frying pan and dropped a raw egg into the hole. Thus frying the bread and the egg together. I don’t think anyone was especially overjoyed at this dish, I actually hate fried eggs, but I had learned it in my home economics class and wanted to try it out since it was dead easy.

Who had the most influence on your cooking?

My Grandpa Larry was always making the same signature dishes on specific days of the week. Home made steal cut oatmeal with golden raisins every morning, and Tuesday was home made pizza day, and watching him mix the batter for his signature lemon cake dish. YUM. But my grandmother on my mothers side was a fabulous cook, often preparing meals to feed 20 people 1-3 times a week! This was either for her growing family or for the grad students who worked for my Grandpa jack at Stanford University.

Mageiricophobia - do you suffer from any cooking phobia, a dish that makes your palms sweat?


Grandpa Jack doesn’t cook at all, and now that Nan has passed away my aunts all take turns cooking for him one night a week. Sometimes no one is available and they call upon me to serve dinner. I always tell Grandpa he can have anything he wants. Without fail he asks for Trout and Brussel sprouts. Or Welsh Rarebit. I am clueless and uninterested in how to make them. So I get very nervous cooking for Jack. Plus he’s blunt. “This meal was excellent!"or “This meal was sort of dismal wasn’t it? My gosh.”
*sigh*
Also the idea of making soup with dried beans scares me, and I don’t really know what lentils are either.

What would be your most valued or used kitchen gadgets and/or what was the biggest letdown?


I love my nutmeg grinder, it is a little metal bowl with a Tupperware lid, but has a grater in the lid, so you can store the nutmeg in the dish, take it out, open the lid, grate and then store the grating and nutmeg in the dish and close the Tupperware lid- or use it in your soup or eggs. I love The Boy’s Rabbit wine opener. And I LOVE my battery operated mini Frother.


Name some funny or weird food combinations/dishes you really like - and probably no one else!
Rice with soy sauce, mustard on everything and I love raw cow tongue

What are the three eatables or dishes you simply don’t want to live without?!

Crab, walnuts and wine oh and limes!

Any question you missed in this meme, that you would have loved to answer? Well then, feel free to add one!!

Three quickies
Your favorite ice-cream… Rocky road or green tea!

You will probably never eat… snails!

Your own signature dish… My garlic bread! Or Montrachet Wontons

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home